Monday, August 12, 2013

August 5, 2013

President Smartt,

            It was great to meet you this week! I enjoyed the time we were able to spend together and for the insights you provided. The members all like you and look forward to working with the mission to further the work here in Dominica.

            This week we found a new young man named Abe who lives in the next village down from Portsmouth. He rode back from Roseau on the bus with us last Thursday. We talked to him the whole trip back. We then went on Friday to his village and found where he lives. We met with his family and they agreed to have us over this upcoming week to meet with them again. Abe would be a great young man for the branch. He has a couple sisters too that would help with the young women. We hope to be able to work with them and help them come to church.

            Kelly, again, had some problems during the weekend which prohibited her from coming to church. She was excited to come on Saturday when we met with her, but later that evening she called us and asked us to return to her house. Apparently, some man had come into her house and was really aggressive. He was under the influence of some heavy drugs and was causing problems. He tore all of the things out of her house and threw them outside. She was really stressed out and worried for her little 6 month old baby’s safety. It is so sad to see how well Kelly is progressing during the week, and then see these things happen on Saturday/Sunday to prevent her from coming to church. We are doing everything that we can to help her and to comfort her, but sometimes it seems like there is nothing that we can do but pray and fast for her. We know the Lord has His timing for everything; we’re just trying to do our best.

            Thanks again for everything that you are doing for us. I know that with the Lord’s help, anything is possible. I am grateful for His sacrifice and the trust He has in me to be His missionary and bring the world his truth. That is why I sang that song yesterday in sacrament meeting. I know that I am not the best singer in the world, or the most talented piano player. One thing I do know, however, is that my Redeemer lives.

Elder Nielson

Alright. well, president smartt came this week! Hes way cool. i really like him. He's only 43, so dad watch out! you might be getting a mission call here yourself pretty soon..
So i finally got my church debit card. bout time. 3 months later.. But i've got it now, so hopefully i wont have to use my card from home as much. 
Happy August Monday! Today is a random Dominican holiday, so everything is closed. I dont even think the locals know what this holiday stands for..
So we found out that one of us will probably be moved to roseau and one of us stay in portsmouth. that will happen by the end of the month. president will bring two other elders here and since we know the island, we will be the senior comps and show/teach them how to work in the island. more than likely, i will be sent to roseau, meaning i will be "in charge" in an area i dont know too well with a brand new companion.. yikes hah. that'll be a little tough, but I will go, i will do..
So garret is now a district leader! Crazy stuff. 
yesterday in sacrament meeting, E' Fournier and I sang I know that my redeemer lives as a musical number. I played the piano and we both sang. I had to sing the first verse as a solo.. yikes. I dont do solos very well. the piano was just fine, but the singing could have been better. I felt the spirit though, and that's all that matters. It was testimony meeting, and i was just trying to testify of my savior. Almost everyone was in tears afterwards haha. the spirit was really strong. president was there for it too, so all in all it was a good thing. 
I love everyone and hope that you have a great week! 
Cuidense mucho,
Elder Nielson

No comments:

Post a Comment